1. Re-Election of Mayor and Deputy Mayor – We are pleased to announce that Sue Clarke was appointed Chair of the Town Council and Mayor of Buckfastleigh with Erin Kohler-Ockmore as her Deputy at the Annual Town Council meeting which was held outdoors in Victoria Park following the refusal by Government to extend the legislation for local councils to continue to meet virtually.
2. Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill – Members unanimously supported the motion to support the Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill which will require the Government to develop an emergency strategy which includes the UK’s commitment to reduce greenhouse gases, protect and restore biodiverse habitats and set up an independent Citizens’ Assembly.
3. Pengelly Caves – A grant for £2,000 was awarded in principle, subject to conditions, to the William Pengelly Cave Studies Trust for the creation of 3 new wildlife sites and areas of interest around the Pengelly Trust’s Centre.
4. Swimming Pool and Hope Garden Open – The reopening of the swimming pool and the new Hope Garden at Victoria Park, dedicated to the loss of loved ones due to Covid and to the work of our NHS and carers, will take place on Saturday 29th May at 2.00pm.
5. Wildspace Garden – We are excited to announce that the new Wildspace Garden at the Town Hall will be open to the public from Monday 14th June – please see opening times on the side gate and on our website.
6. Reverend Tom Benson – We would like to say farewell and thanks to the Rev Tom Benson and his family who will be sadly leaving us in June for pastures new. We would like to convey our heartfelt thanks for his selfless dedication to our community and in particular his steadfast work during the pandemic.
Full minutes will be available on the website after the next Town Council Meeting.